Can you believe it’s already August? Just like summer is starting to wrap up, we have a few things wrapping up as well at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park.
- “Mimmo Paladino: Present into Past” closes
- Italian sculptor, painter and graphic artist Mimmo Paladino is among the innovative artists responsible for the revival of figurative art at the end of the 20th century. You can find Paladino’s pieces in the sculpture galleries and in the Lena Meijer Tropical Conservatory. In addition, the artist is working in conjunction with our Horticulture staff to create a unique body of drawings specific to the flora of Meijer Gardens. “Mimmo Paladino: Present into Past” closes on August 14th, so be sure to get in one final visit.
- Dahlia Show
- Marvel at the variety of colors, shapes and sizes of dahlia flowers. Find a flower the size of a dinner plate and a pompon dahlia that forms a perfect sphere. View creative floral arrangements too. Dahlia Society members will be on hand to answer questions and provide tips on how to grow these beautiful flowers. The show is included with your admission!
- Read & Explore Charlotte’s Web
- Enjoy E.B. White’s classic for children in the perfect setting—our barn at Michigan’s Farm Garden, complete with Charlotte’s web! Discuss questions such as what makes a good friend and which character you identify with, then participate in acting out one of the scenes (choose a starring role or just be part of a group). Play a Web of Words game about spider misconceptions and learn about spiders as “garden helpers”. Then make your own spider web to take home. After the program, walk out to see our enormous, 8-foot Spider by Louise Bourgeois in the Sculpture Park.
- Meet Me at the Fair Weekend
- There is something for everyone at the fair. View live farm animals and vote for your favorite. Join in traditional fair games such as beanbag toss, hula hoops, and bucket bonanza. Participate in a variety of “home arts” including spool knitting and sewing card quilting. Even enjoy a pie making demonstration, where sampling is a must!
- Final Tuesday Evening Music Club Concert
- The Tuesday Evening Music Club brings talented local and regional musicians to the Frederik Meijer Gardens Amphitheater stage Tuesday evenings—free to Meijer Gardens members—throughout July and August. Click here for the schedule of performers.
Hope to see you before September!